- Encourage commuters going to military sites to sign up at Car.ma
- Allow riders to search for a ride
- Recruit at least 500 drivers and 1000 riders to participate
- Achieve 20 ride matches per month, per participant
- Reduce 120,000 vehicle miles traveled (VMT) over 6 months
- Reduce traffic congestion, parking demand and fuel consumption
- Determine whether innovative pricing strategies for ridesharing may change travel behavior
- Quantify what critical mass of participants is required to create a self-sustaining, real-time ridesharing system
Who are we?
The Northern Virginia Regional Commission (NVRC) is a regional council of fourteen member local governments in the Northern Virginia suburbs of Washington DC. The Commission is served by a highly trained staff, including a demographer and research analyst, regional planners, human services professionals, GIS technicians, and administrative support personnel. With a rich history spanning 60 years, NVRC’s chief roles and functions have focused on providing information, performing professional and technical services for its members, and serving as a mechanism for regional coordination.
About Real-time Ridesharing
Avego’s breakthrough real-time ridesharing software system (Car.ma) matches drivers and riders in real time as they travel, so you can rideshare whenever you want, from wherever you are. With the real-time ridesharing smartphone app, it is easy for commuters to create carpools in real-time, providing a marketplace for drivers to offer up their empty seats to other commuters, and helps carpoolers share the costs of the journey through an automated electronic transaction based on mileage. Once a match is made, the pilot will track the journey from pick-up to drop-off, provide automated security features, and electronic micro-payments that allow riders and drivers to share the cost of a journey.